Saturday, January 4, 2014

Blog challenge day 26

Today's topic: what popular notion do you think the world has most wrong?

There are obviously a lot of choices here. But I think I'll go with the one I know the most about due to research and due diligence.

Which is this...I think that people don't realize, or maybe just choose to not see, that animals do in fact have feelings. People don't think about the inhumanity of things because they would rather think up a hundred excuses. Studies have shown that not only are several butcher houses unsanitary, but the way the animals live up to their last moment of life is cruel and unnecessary. An example is shown here. Another here. Note: I couldn't get through the full video, they are extremely heartbreaking and graphic.

I'm not trying to convert everyone to a plant based lifestyle, as nice as that would be. Rather, I want you to think about WHERE your cow comes from, where the chicken "lived" before it ended up on your plate. If you choose to eat meat, at least choose to buy from a reputable place where the animal saw the sunlight, ate food it was supposed to eat (for example, cows are the only animal that can digest grass yet in most places it is given grain) before you spend your money (and your health).

I have been fascinated with whales lately, especially after watching the much talked about documentary "Blackfish" on Netflix. I definitely see them in a new light. Did you know that in the wild, orcas live in a pack, and their family never separates? They have an incredible way of communicating that is being studied every day. Like us, they crave attention and are highly social.

What I'm trying to say, is think before you eat. If those videos were enough to sway your opinion, then please spread the word. I believe the first step to helping others is to gain compassion...and a great way to do that is through the animals we share the earth with.

Stay tuned for next time:
What is your favorite part of your body and why?


1 comment:

  1. I think it's easy to ignore the source.

    But the thing is, anything you eat has to die.

    Because plants don't have eyes or a heartbeat in the way that we're used to observing it, we down play the significance of that plant life.

    I think that we only have more compassion for animal life because they've evolved along a path closer to our own. So like, the further away you get from having eyes like ours, the further away you get from cannibalism.

    We have to eat to survive, we've simply evolved that way. To eat, we have to kill another living thing. It doesn't matter if it's a blade of grass or a cow.

    We can be more humane, I suppose, in the way we treat our farmed animals. But how is the slaughterhouse less brutal than a huge combine rolling through a field and slaughtering individual lives by the hundreds per second?

    I think that that is the exploration that should be had. No one feels guilt at mowing their lawn, but they would hate me if they watched me behead one single chicken.

    As far as I know, plants don't have a brain, self-awareness. But there are retards out there who barely have that.

    What I have gathered is that we value life more the closer it is to our own. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I think it's an evolved trait.

    But another evolved trait? Being an omnivore.

    We don't HAVE to eat meat and plants. But we should. And both are tasty in their own right.

    Things that people don't consider:

    Eggs are embryos. Like, aborted chicken children. And they are delicious.

    Eating any kind of seafood does not make up for not eating beef. Again, these creatures are less like us, so some vegie/vegans like to say it's okay sometimes, or just do it anyway. A fish's eye is closer to our own than a cat's. At least in external appearance.

    I wonder, can a tree recognize its life, its freedom to breathe and live? ...can a dog? Do you have to be self-aware to suffer? Ants have a hive mind, controlled by the queen...but I bet it sucks for them when they're eaten, when they lose a leg or antennae...

    ReplyDelete

Our Love Story

 Veteran's Day has come and gone this year but I wanted to share our love story because I think it's fun (even if I'm the only o...