Friday, September 20, 2013

Blogger challenge day three: relationship with my parents

I have been blessed with two great parents. I know that everyone says that, but mine are special. They don't come from a lot of money. They don't have an educated background. But what they do have, and what they instilled in me throughout my entire life, is love. That may sound corny, but sometimes love is all you have. They taught me, without realizing it, how important it is to have love and to love. Forgiveness is powerful, and life is too short for grudges.

My parents have helped me realize what I do and don't want to have in my life...the kind of parent I want to be to my children, what I want them to learn, and the kind of wife I want to be to my husband.

They taught me that education is important...to never settle, to go for what I want and to never give up.

We have always been close. I never fought with them when I was a teen, never went behind their backs. I was a good kid. We didn't have secrets.

They also taught me how important communication is. To just say what you feel instead of trying to sugar coat. Honesty is the easiest and hardest thing to do, but it is the best.

For those who don't know, my dad wasn't really in my life until about a year before he decided to take his. My step dad is my dad, he raised me since I was 6. Ultimately, he saved my life. Although I don't believe in divorce for myself, he taught me that it is possible to be loved again and what an amazing feeling that is.

I love my parents...and it hurts being so far away from them, knowing that as each day passes they get a day older and we never know when they won't be here anymore. But I treasure the talks we have, the moments we share, and the memories we've made.
This is probably my favorite recent picture of my wonderful parents, Jerry and Carol. <3 p="">

5 comments:

  1. Emily and you are the best daughter anyone could ever have your words brought tears to my eyes very very beautiful :) Love you and i am so glad that your mom and Dad are a part of my life they mean the world to me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Jill. I really just want to inspire people, to help them realize what they have, too. Thanks for being such a big part of my parents life, especially when I wasn't there...helping them through my absence! I appreciate it more than I could ever say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most children as myself dont know what we have untill it is gone i lost my dad last yr on April 1st was the hardest thing i ever went thru and i will go thru it again with my mom there is not a day i dont miss him i would give anything for just one more day with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't have much in response, other than sharing your perspective. We are blessed with the greatest parents anyone could have. Patient, understanding, tolerant...and above all else, loving.

    Makes me so sad for our brother, who is without that. He chose it and forced it, I know, but I still regret that there's nothing to be done for him...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive always dreamed of being a mom and i was blessed with 3 kids even tho their dad and i got divorced we remained friends and he will always have a place in my heart The kids and i had alot of things happen in our life and i blamed myself for some of them cause all i ever wanted was the best for them and i felt i wasnt doing a good job but though it all we stuck together and became stronger. when i met my current husband i didnt think i could love again but he took me and my kids and changed our lifes

    ReplyDelete

Our Love Story

 Veteran's Day has come and gone this year but I wanted to share our love story because I think it's fun (even if I'm the only o...