Sunday, July 1, 2018

How deleting Facebook is like grieving in today’s society

Almost a month ago, my husband and I made the collective decision to delete our facebooks.


I was about ready to with or without him, but it’s always nice to have both of us do it, that way there’s less temptation.

I used Facebook for what it was meant to be used for at its inception - social media. I used it to keep in touch with friends and family from all over, to share photos of our children and see photos of theirs. I was in Mom groups and other groups as well. I did not use it as a political platform, and that is probably the number one reason why I finally decided to give it up for good.

I couldn’t get away from it. It got to the point where unfollowing the individuals wasn’t enough. People would take memes for fact and use Facebook as a “credible” news source instead of doing their own research. It was sad, more than frustrating. I had enough.
We decided to delete it, and at first it was horrible. The first week was probably the worst, and then it continued as I got closer to the point where it would be gone forever. I noticed that people stopped reaching out...somehow it’s harder without Facebook to say hello? Apparently?
I’m past that point, and I gotta say, my life is better without Facebook. I have Instagram which still allows me to share pictures of my life (aka kids) ;) and has better security, in my opinion. The internet is a scary place, and it is important to me who sees (and doesn’t see) their pictures.

Life is good. D and I just got home from a little camping trip, which leads me to introduce my next discussion post - camping without kids - would you, or wouldn’t you? Stay tuned - subscribe to my blog so you get the latest notifications.

Until next time,

Xoxo


1 comment:

  1. I think you should come back to Facebook, and simply resist the temptation. I know there are idiots out there, sure, I'm one of them...but that's life, eh? It's become such a phenomenon...it really is taken as seriously as 'real life', because it kind of is. Living, breathing, all the time, regular updates, it's a bunch of life, all around you!

    Anyway. I'm gonna try to find the subscribe button 'cause I didn't know you had posted these...maybe if you were on Facebook I would have...

    ReplyDelete

Our Love Story

 Veteran's Day has come and gone this year but I wanted to share our love story because I think it's fun (even if I'm the only o...