Monday, May 12, 2014

Reflections

This Thursday, as well as being my parents wedding anniversary, is the anniversary of the year I shipped off to boot camp. It's hard to believe that it was 2 years ago...time has gone by so fast! I have crossed paths with so many amazing people that will be in my life years after I get out of the navy. I have cried, laughed, and shared so many countless memories. I have swept so many dust bunnies, only to be encountered by what seems like millions more...

But overall, I enjoy it. There are days when I question my decision, but without the navy, Derek and I wouldn't have this house or the memories we have made here. Without the navy I would have never gotten to drive a multi billion dollar warship...and without the navy, I wouldn't truly know what camaraderie feels like.

Despite its downfalls (like keeping me away from my husband and our dogs), the navy has done me some good. It has made me a better person. I am a way better friend than I was. I am way more independent. I am able to get medical care (dental, eye, and female stuff) for free. In a few years I will be able to go back to school and it will lead me to do what I really want to do.

For me, it's not forever...but it is definitely something I do not regret doing. This year is a whole new level of challenges, I will be going on my first deployment and spending a LOT more time away from home. I am excited though, it's something I think everyone needs to experience. I am anticipating a lot of growth and definite culture shock, but also memories and an education that I can take with me anywhere.

Happy anniversary to me, it's been a pleasure serving my country so far.


1 comment:

  1. yes time has gone by fast and i miss all those times we spent watching gilmore girls and grease and going shopping and having coffee and are mother daughter talks and when you left for boot camp i wanted to be selfish and not let you go but knowing deep down i could not do that It will be hard for you and DC to be apart but it will just make your love stronger Im proud of you for what your doing with your life and im glad you get to experience all the different people and places And i am looking forward to hearing all about those people and places YOU GOT THIS GIRL GO NAVY

    ReplyDelete

Our Love Story

 Veteran's Day has come and gone this year but I wanted to share our love story because I think it's fun (even if I'm the only o...