Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Fail

This weekend was a success in some ways, and a failure in many others. My husband and I and a group of friends went and saw Tim McGraw which was amazing, except one little thing: I told myself I was going to be sober, and it didn't work out that way. Now, I will say that I was not as drunk as those around me...I do in fact remember the concert, but I am disappointed because I let myself down.

I am so easily able to justify it (alcohol) being in my life and make excuses for why I need it. The opposite is true for why it shouldn't be there. I mean, of course I can think of so many reasons why I don't need it, shouldn't drink it, etc, but they are quickly diminished by the thoughts like 'we're so young' and 'you're in the navy' and 'it's easier to have fun and let loose when you drink.'

But, I am trying to remain positive. Remember, I said before that this will not happen overnight. We may fall many times, but it is important to not give up. When we give up is when we truly fail.

I have decided to retract a previous statement. When I said to quit cold turkey, I think that's wrong. It may work for some people, but not everyone. I think it's best to cut back slowly. Limit yourself to only drinking on the weekends, and not getting plastered everytime...just a drink here and there. Then eventually, hopefully, one will find themselves not craving it anymore. Not reaching for the bottle for a temporary buzz.

Is it worth it? That next day feeling? The one that lasts all day no matter how much water we drink, food we eat, or sun we get? The one that only gets worse as we get older?

I don't think so.

There is a light my friends... let's get there.

3 comments:

  1. I've never known you to have a drinking problem. How often have you been drinking on the regular prior to this post/decision to cut back?

    It's about moderation, and being in control. There's nothing wrong with getting all zooted at a concert, don't feel guilty about that.

    Also consider what DC's feelings are. If he doesn't think you have a problem, well, feel free to drink more if you're so inclined. :p

    Too bad you're in the navy, I of course recommend cannabis for all related mind alterations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say that I have a problem, by societies standards. I'm not an alcoholic...but my tolerance and intake has definitely increased. I have little self-control where alcohol is concerned, which is exactly why I don't drink in public if DC isn't there to watch me. I know better...
    I'm not into hard alcohol, mostly bitch beer, but alcohol is alcohol and I want to stop in order to get where I need to be.

    Two more years, man....two more years. lol

    ReplyDelete

Our Love Story

 Veteran's Day has come and gone this year but I wanted to share our love story because I think it's fun (even if I'm the only o...